Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole

Easy:  So-So
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Last minute: No

Inspiration for this dish: My Kitchen Cafe's Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole

I've been wanting a Cheesy Chicken Rice Casserole with Broccoli for some time. And it was important to me that I avoid condensed soup. I'm not sure why this is important to me, but it is. It's not that I don't love things made with condensed soup. I do. I just think I can do better things without it.

1-2 tablespoons butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups long grain white rice
1 cup chicken stock or broth
3 cups water
1 1/4 cups half-and-half (I used 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream and 1/2 cup of whole milk because that's what I had)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup any grated cheese
2 cups of diced cooked chicken breast

Grease a large-ish casserole dish and think about preheating oven to 400 degrees. You won't be able to use the oven for about 30 minutes, so you may consider putting off the preheating for another 10 minutes.

Melt butter in large skillet or dutch oven. Add onion to melted butter and saute for a minute or two. Then, add the garlic. I understand this will prevent the garlic from burning.

Microwave the chopped broccoli for about 2 minutes until it's a beautiful bright green. I microwaved the broccoli and stems together, and it was fine.

Add rice to the onions, garlic and butter, and stir to coat. Add chicken stock (or broth), water, and half and half. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. I also added my chopped chicken during this time because I had let it get dry, but you can add it later if you want it to maintain its shape.

Remove from heat and stir in cheese (I used a little parmesan and some reggiano I had. I would have preferred sharp cheddar, but I didn't have any.)

Pour into greased casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes.

Allow to cool before serving.


Personally...I loved this. It was rich and comforting. I loved the flavor, though it was bland with a hint of chickeny, and I loved the texture. I really can't wait to have it for lunch. For the next 3 weeks. No one loved it like I did. Maybe the youngest and the husband will help me eat it. But, the oldest will have nothing more to do with it.

Goes well with: I consider this a complete meal.

Did they eat it? Everyone ate it without reservation except the oldest. No one loved it but me. But, I loved it.

0 comments: