Monday, December 7, 2009

"Everyone ate this" Fish

Easy: YES
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 to 6 minutes
Last minute: YES

I like tilapia.  It's normally not fishy.  It's pretty convenient. You can buy it frozen, and each fillet is sealed in its own bag which makes it easy to thaw.  I normally throw it in a sink full of water for about 25 minutes.  So, you can make this meal last minute.

I call it "Everyone Ate This" fish but you can call it Asian Style Tilapia.  It's quick and easy.  It's borderline sophisticated.  It's not too "out there" for kids.  And, it's easy.  Did I say that already?

Asian Style Tilapia (Posted by me on Tasty Kitchen)*

Ingredients:

  • 4 whole Tilapia Fillets
  • 1-½ teaspoon Freshly Grated Ginger or 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of dried ginger (just a dab!!)
  • ¼ cups Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey
  • 1 Tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
  • 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil (I love the strong taste of sesame oil. You can substitute olive or other vegetable oil, or leave it out).
  • 1 to 2 Tablespoons Butter
Directions:
Whisk ginger, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and lime juice together in a bowl.

Marinade the Tilapia fillets for 5 to 10 minutes.

Melt butter in large flat bottomed skillet until it begins to brown (BUT BEFORE IT BEGINS TO BURN!)

Add fish to hot skillet. Cook until done, but not overdone. I find Tilapia to be pretty forgiving. Just cook until it easily flakes off with a fork. A few minutes (2 to 3) on each side.

Remove fish from the pan and deglaze pan with remaining marinade. Add a little more soy sauce if there’s not enough.

Pour sauce over fish, serve immediately.

Goes well with: rice and broccoli.** If you have it, sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top.

Did they eat it?  Yes!  Everyone in my family ate this fish!  The youngest, the oldest, the husband and me.

*I adapted this from Soy Ginger Salmon
**cook rice in advance, like on some whole other day. Rice takes a while!  Also, use a rice cooker!!

0 comments: